We featured this beauty on our Kissing Booth treat table a little while back and we’ve managed to get our hands on Cakes By Robin’s top secret recipe on how to make this indulgent red velvet beauty! Lucky us! After all, nothing says ‘Happy Valentine’s!’ than a great big slice of this on a plate, right?!
For the cake
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray; dust with flour, tap out the excess.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir together the hot water and cocoa powder in a small bowl until smooth; let cool slightly. Stir together the milk and vinegar in another small bowl. Stand until thickened for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Whisk together the oil, eggs, red food colouring and the cocoa mixture in a large bowl until it resembles a smooth batter. Take the medium bowl of flour and sugar and also your milk. Combine with the batter mix by adding the flour and milk alternately, starting and ending with the flour. Divide the mix evenly between the prepared pans.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes then turn out onto cooling racks and leave until cold.
For the Frosting
5. For the frosting: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until smooth. Increase the speed to high and beat until very fluffy and smooth. Beat in the milk to adjust the consistency if the frosting seems too thick.
6. To assemble: Place one cake layer bottom-side down on a cake plate. Top with 1 cup of the frosting, and spread to the edge. Top with the second layer and frost the top and sides with the remaining frosting. If the frosting becomes too soft while assembling the cake, briefly chill the cake and frosting and then finish frosting.
So, there you have it your top-secret recipe to make your very own Red Velvet Cake!
Leave a Comment